Friday, September 24, 2004

Promotion

Tuesday I interviewed for a House manager for royalton house which is a small group home with 8 residents. Since starting with Northeast Care Center in the start of July I worked hard in the past two and a half months learning about how to run a group home as a Manager in training. So I was pretty much training for this position. I had only one other competitor for this position. That applicant is the current QMRP (Qualified Mental Retardation Professional) who has worked at the house for the past year of so. I thought the interview went really well although I did not feel very prepared for the interview. I dressed well, (I always do) for the interview and I think the old saying is true, as shallow as it may sound.
The Suit makes the man.

It's like a little ritual for me, preparing my physical appearance helps quiet my mind and focus on the interview ahead. The interview was fairly routine, questions about strengths and weaknesses, what I will bring to the position, how will I deal with staff. I addressed all the questions but my essential message was that I would be a good and effective communicator, I tried pretty much to address the question and tied it back to my central selling point. I think I showed a fair amount of ambition during the interview.

To be honest I will follow through with everything I said in the interview and communicate with the staff and residents to see what can be done together to maximize the benefit of staff and residents of Royalton House.

So Thursday morning, we had our monthly Admin meeting, which ran pretty routinely. At the end of the meeting Jessie the Executive Director asked me to talk with him for a second. He shook my hand and congratulated me on for being chosen for this position. I was shocked and really it almost felt a little unreal in retrospect. I have got to keep this information to myself because the other applicant has not been notified about their decision (the person should have been at the meeting but was not).

I am concerned about how the working relationship between the QMRP and I will be since we both applied for the position. I hope we can work well together.

Maybe communication will bridge this awkward divide.

No comments: