Sunday, September 26, 2004

Fortune Cookie Analysis

I have a dirty little secret. I love eating Chinese food (duh, I'm Chinese). What I really enjoy when I go eat Chinese food is getting a fortune cookie at the end of the meal (by the way, fortune cookies are for Americans. Real Chinese restaurants don't serve fortune cookies at the end of a meal). I love the little messages enclosed, it is just fun to read and share at the end of the meal. Some people like to add the sophomoric epithet
... in bed.

However, I have always found fortune cookie messages to be good pondering points. Saturday night Ahmie, Liam and I went to a Chinese buffet restaurant to celebrate my Promotion. The buffet was cheap but not too good. Their fortune cookies were unpalatable. I actually spat the cookie out (which is rare for me, since I am usually not picky about what I eat) because it was really nasty tasting.

So my fortune cookie read:
You are interested in public service and would make an outstanding statesman.


Well I thought this really fit with my promotion since I will be working in a service which serves community needs. I am going to need to be a good statesman in order to win the confidence and respect of the people who will work under me.

Ahmie's fortune cookie read:
You will find an outlet for your creative genius and accomplish a great deal.


Well I think this is sort of obvious. Ahmie is a very creative person but her current outlet for her energy has been Liam and she is using her imagination to nourish, encourage and entertain Liam.

I hope for good fortune ahead.

No comments: