Thursday, May 20, 2004

5 days to due date baby not here yet

I am currently on paternity leave from work because I had actually turned in my resignation 2 weeks ago. Fortunately I have accumulated enough leave so I have enough time to take sick leave as paternity leave without any loss in pay. This gives me an opportunity to spend time with my wife and the baby once it is born.

It is strange waiting for our baby to be born. I mean my wife and I have waited 9 months and it has been a wonder, seeing my wife's belly grow, hearing the baby's heartbeats, feeling the baby's kicks. Now I am standing at the cusp into fatherhood not totally sure how I feel. I am happy to be taking a rest from work and spending time with my wife. I know very soon my time will not be wholly my own anymore. I hear from many of my co-workers that have children say that children are lots of work..., but they are worth it. Every time I hear that I think of Wanda Sykes comic routine about children.

Granted I know what I am getting myself into, I am aware of the responsibility that I have pledged myself to, and as a man of 27 years of age I think I am up to that responsibility. Hey I started teaching straight out of college at 22 at a alternative education high school, I think I can take care of an raise one child. I even can do diapers. But I can imagine the worries that I will feel as a parent. I look forward to finger painted pictures and coloring book pages colored with crayons (eventho I loathe crayons the bastard of all art supplies anyway...), colors all over the place not within the lines. I look forward to the first steps, the first words, the goo face.

Ahmie is sewing "birthing pants" basically pants without the middle seam and overlapping paneling? I think. She thinks that this way the Midwife can have access to her crotch for exams during labor without having to wear a hospital gown, so she can wear something that has a semblance to real clothes. She exclaims every time the thread breaks on the sewing machine and I run in to the room thinking something has happened. So as you can see I am very eager to meet my monchhichi.

Oh now it's 4 days and counting.

No comments: